The G Mark is a certificate required for low voltage electrical appliances and children toys prepared for sale in the markets of Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) states.
The Gulf Standardization Organization (GSO) is the entity owning exclusively the mark and responsible for developing the relevant standards, regulations, and rules. The Gulf Technical Regulation for Low Voltage Electrical Equipment and Appliances is the regulatory reference for issuing the G Mark.
The main purpose of the G Mark is to ensure that these products meet the required safety and quality standards and comply with the gulf technical regulations, as well as set unified procedures to facilitate the goods flow across the GCC states borders and overcome trade, shipping, and clearance obstacles.
The G Mark products list
The G Mark is applied to two lists of products, List 1 includes the products that don’t require the involvement of a third party as it is required to issue a Manufacturer/ Importer Conformity Declaration. List 2 includes the products that require assigning a conformity body to carry out the conformity assessment and issue the mark.
The low voltage electrical appliances that require a third party involvement consists of 13 categories as follows:
- Electric smoothing irons
- Household Plugs, Socket outlets, Adaptors, Cord Extension Sets, and chargers
- Household air conditioners
- Household clothes dryers and clothes washing machines, including machines that both wash and dry
- Household electric heating apparatus
- Household electric instantaneous or storage water heaters and immersion heaters
- Household electrical fans
- Household electro-thermic hair-dressing, skin apparatus, and hand dryers
- Household food grinders and mixers, fruit or vegetable juice extractors
- Household microwave ovens
- Household ovens, cookers, cooking plates, boiling rings, grillers, and roasters
- Household refrigerators, freezers, and other refrigerating or freezing equipment
- Household toasters
The G mark certification requirements
The G mark certificate for low voltage electrical appliance is obtained as above mentioned according to the provisions of the Gulf Technical Regulation for Low Voltage Electrical Equipment and Appliances, and through a certification body accredited by the GSO.
The most important documents required for applying for the G mark are as follows:
- Product Safety and Electromagnetic Compatibility Test reports issued by an accredited laboratory according to the Gulf and International standards.
- Product Risk Assessment Report.
- English and Arabic Manuals.
- Explanatory Label containing the technical data and manufacturer information.
The Mark logo and labeling conditions
After obtaining the G Mark The manufacturer or importer is allowed to use the G Mark logo and label it on the products that obtained it according to the conditions set by the GSO. The Mark can be labeled on the product only after the granting decision is issued not before or during processing the request, in addition, the notification number of the notified body that carried out the conformity assessment and issued the mark must be labeled on the product.
Any violation of these conditions exposes the beneficiary of the G Mark to penalties in accordance with the regulatory laws.